Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Berrington Hall, Lambs, and Croft Castle (photos)

After our whirlwind road trip of seeing family history sites and castles, we concluded our trip in Leominster. We visited an old manor called Berrington Hall. It is a beautiful old home, and the National Trust had restored it to its former glory. It was fascinating to see how this manor ran. Our tour guide was dressed as the head laundry maid as she explained her duties with us and took us around the exterior of the house and the servants quarters. HERE is a link to Sam's earlier blog post that includes videos for these places, too.

I believe this post marks the completion of our Wales/Midlands trip with my parents. It was so fun to get to travel with them!! Sam and I both had an amazing time with them. By the way, this trip happened in February... So I still have major catching up to do! My goal before we leave for our cruises (less than 2 weeks!) is to do a post a day so that we will be able to get a lot closer to catching up before we don't have really internet access for a month!

Some of the manor grounds
The "head laundry maid." Isn't she darling?
Interior shot.
(Sorry it is so grainy! They didn't allow flash, and I only had my UV filter with me.)
Sam and me in front of the manor
Such beautiful grounds!
We found some cute sheepies eating.
When we all came to take a gander, they got spooked and ran to the other side of the enclosure. Some got so scared, they had to "relieve" themselves. Poor guys!
Later we found this cool farm on the side of a little road and decided to stop for pictures.
The farmer invited us in to the farm and told us to go wherever we liked. Such a nice man!
My mom and I were in heaven getting to play with the little lambs! They were so adorable. We both love little lambs so much; they are just so tender. And no, neither of us eat lamb! Haha. It breaks my heart a little every time Sam orders lamb at a restaurant. Hopefully one day I will get through to that boy! Haha.
My mom calling a lamb
Notice the leaping lamb! I LOVE it when they do that. It reminds me of a Disney movie or something!
There were other animals there, too, of course! We were just distracted by the lambs.
So this is not the most attractive dog in the world, but he was SO sweet! He was totally in love with my mom and just wanted to play fetch with little, slobbery rocks.
Dad and Sam talking to the sweet farmer
Part of the entry to Croft Castle
So we didn't have time to go inside the castle, but we were able to take a few quick pictures! Sorry for the terrible quality in this one... The sun was in an awful place!
I loved the entry gate! So beautiful!

2 comments:

  1. 'Sure was fun romping with the lammies with you! We love you! Come back to California~!
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your wonderful video of Berrington Hall which I have been watching on YouTube. I am married to the grandson of Vivienne, Lady Cawley, who lived at Berrington, and remember visiting her there several times before she died. I'm happy that you enjoyed your time there :-).
    Warm wishes,
    Roz Cawley.

    ReplyDelete