Monday, November 10, 2008

How We Met

For those of you who don't know Sam and I have a bit of an unusual history:

The first time we met was on a blind double date... with other people. He was on a date with my friend Andie Knudsen, and I was on a date with his roommate Richard Carey. We had a lot of fun, but I seemed to be connecting with Sam more than my date. Halfway through the date I realized that I needed to stop asking Sam questions and start paying more attention to Richard! Needless to say that ended up being the one and only date Richard and I ever went on.


(photo of our "first date")

About a week later Sam's other roommate, Steve Pearson, asked me and Andie to come over again so HE could make us dinner this time. We heartily agreed. We went over to their house and after that night Steve and I started to date. Steve and I casually dated for a few months. During these months Sam and I started to become best friends. We would play volleyball every Tuesday together at the beginning. Then we started getting our friends all together to hang out. A couple months went by, then Steve and I went our separate ways, but we are all great friends and he could not be happier for Sam and me.


(Sam and I playing Volleyball before we dated)

On To The Good Stuff!

Since the first day I met him, I had a crush on Sam. Pretty much everyone knew it, even Sam. Sam wasn't quite ready for me though. After his birthday party it started to hit him that he probably should go out with me. He asked me out, which was a complete shock to me, but I could not have been more excited about it. We went out the next weekend and it truly was the best date either of us has ever been on.

Sam picked me up in his convertible Mustang and took me to Cheesecake factory. We stayed at the restaurant for about 2.5 hours while only ordering an appetizer and dessert (I'm sure our waiter was very happy with us). We just talked and laughed the entire time. To whomever has not been on a date with their best friend- I highly recommend it!

After dinner we walked down to Santana Row. We sat on a bench in front of a fountain. He pulled out two rolls of pennies. He informed me that we were going to throw pennies into the fountain and make wishes. We started to make wishes. I can't remember all the wishes we made, but I remember Sam making one saying, "I wish I had asked you out sooner". After that wish, I remember going in to hug him and just staying there cuddling with him on that bench across the fountain. This moment was absolute perfection. We sat there cuddling and making wishes for a few more hours. I think we both began to picture a future together while making these wishes. After a while we finally left the fountain. The next time we returned to that fountain is when Sam proposed to me.


(Photo of the fountain from our first date and proposal right after we got engaged)

After that first date we were pretty much always together. I love the evolution our relationship has gone through. I have loved every step and each stage. I am so happy we are where we are right now. I look forward to each stage in the future. I cannot wait for our wedding, our first baby, our 50th wedding anniversary, etc. Sorry I know that was long, but it probably could have been much longer! I am so glad Sam and I were friends before we dated. It gave us an incredibly strong foundation for our relationship. I am so glad I am marrying my best friend!

7 comments:

  1. Poor, poor Richard. Don't worry, though, the photo was staged. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhh, being friends first is the best! I highly recommend it myself. But for those who are too scared to ask out their "friend"... DO IT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! love the picture of the "first date" night- that was a good time- that pic makes me laugh still. poor Richard (like Sam said)....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a cute story. Volleyball truly is the best sport...it brings people together.

    We are so happy for the both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. that photo of your first date is painful for your date, the poor guy's sitting in the corner dejected - but hey you can't fight a tidal wave.

    - Maria

    ReplyDelete
  6. I liked the story, i wasn't acquainted with how you guys met, i'd always thought sam was in the navy and met you on his way to Iwo Jima.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sam rockin' the long-sleeved T... absolute perfection.

    ReplyDelete